Saturday, February 1, 2014

12 in 2014: January & February

My goal calendar for the month.

I am astonished to say it is February, one month into 2014, and two days into the Year of the Horse. That means it's time for me to report on my January resolution of doing yoga everyday. 


January was an eventful, somewhat difficult month. Little did I know when I mentioned the two week  expiration date on resolutions, I was spot on. Old knee injuries flared up. I ran out of a critical medication. It was cold and windy. My circadian rhythm was completely thrown off. 

So, grand total? 13/31 days of yoga.

Okay, I know, excuses, excuses. I don't feel guilty, though, because I anticipated this problem. This is where my monthly resolution structure really becomes useful. Rather than failing at the beginning of a 365 day endeavor, I completed almost 50% of my goal. (And if that math is wrong, please spare me, and don't correct me just this once...)  Sounds more encouraging, doesn't it? 

Today is the start of a new month, which means not only is it time to begin my next resolution, but also to start anew with my yoga-- and it is a new start. This is really the key to monthly resolutions. Having a "reset" button allows you to focus on what's ahead for your goals, rather than dwelling on your past difficulties. For me, having my resets spaced closely means I can maintain my momentum and enthusiasm. I didn't do yoga everyday, but I did do enough that I feel the urge to practice, and have successfully associated yoga with feeling happy and healthy. These feelings will follow me into the coming month, and provide an extra boost to my motivation. If I decided to wait until next January to try yoga again, I would no longer be conditioned to enjoy my practice, and I'd have to start from scratch. 

In addition to yoga, February's resolution is to take (at least) one photo each day. I haven't set any parameters about what kinds of photos, or the quality they need to be, because that's not the point. Right now, I am simply building the habit. Once I am in the swing of things, I'll focus on specific techniques and subjects, but practice works best when it is consistent. That means habit first, expansion later. 

I'm still considering whether or not to post my photos here. I may do a weekly summary. If you'd prefer to see my photos day by day, you can visit my Flickr account. 

Now I want to hear from you guys. How are your resolutions going? Did you end up trying a monthly resolution in January? Let's chat!

No comments:

Post a Comment